The Ceres Karoo, secretive and full of wonderful surprises, forms the backdrop to the Gats River Holiday Farm. Here, on the banks of the Ongeluks River you will experience the Karoo in its full diversity and nuances.
The topography of Gats River Holiday Farm – in between the Roggeveld Mountains and the Koedoesberg Mountains – is responsible for various little mountain rills with beautiful rock formations forming the background for wonderful hiking trails. On top of it all, literally, available 4X4 routes reach heights of up to 1 230 metres, from where the view stretches over a wonderland of hills, rivers and the famous Karoo bushes; a truly awe inspiring experience.
On the farm beautiful karee (Rhus sp.) and thorn (Acacia) trees provide shade and shelter from the sun during summer, and also attract many bird species. Consequently the farm is a bird watcher’s paradise. When good rains are experienced during October through July, the Karoo is transformed into a fairyland of colours in August through October. The sheer magnificence of this spectacle during flower time must be experienced to be appreciated.
Due to the total absence of air pollution and no reflected lights from nearby towns, our nights are unbelievably brilliant. Star gazers and satellite watchers cannot ask for a better venue to pursue their particular hobbies.
Leave your mobile phone in your vehicle – no reception on the farm – and recharge your own batteries for a change. You owe it to yourself and the people close to you!!
4x4 and Mountain Bikers
Almost nine 4x4 routes to choose from. These 4x4 routes are also very popular as mountain bike routes. Idea for the mountain bikers: Take the train to Matjiesfontein and cycle to Gatsrivier (74km). We will attend to you needs.
Check in times
Check in: 14h00
Check out: 10h00
Allow 1.5 hours for the drive from Ceres to Gatsrivier
- Follow the Calvinia/Sutherland road from Ceres.
- After (more or less) 35km the R46 becomes the R355 (gravel road) (Here you can take the Touwsrivier turn off and reach us from Touwsrivier. It is an extra distance of 30km. This way you will miss a part of gravel road that is often very bad)
- Follow the R355 through Karoopoort
- Turn right onto the R356 to Sutherland
- After 7km turn right onto the Patatsrivier/Matjiesfontein road
- After more or less 36km turn left to Gatsrivier
- We are 27km from here.
- You will pass Bakensrivier on your way
- Plus-minus 3.2km from the Steers at the last garage on your right, just outside of Touwsrivier, turn left onto the Pienaarskloof road (dirt road).
- 15.6km from there, turn left at the Pienaarspoort sign. (Do not miss!!)
- 15.6km from there, turn left at the T-junction.
- 3.8km from there, turn right at the Gatsrivier sign.
- 12km further, turn left at the second Gatsrivier sign.
- Springbok is approximately 14 km from here. The first white house close to the road (30m) on your left
- When you reach the stop sign, please talk to us here. Push and hold the red button and speak in the small hole below.
Once a month we have a shuttle service from Cape Town and we pick up people at different stops along the N1. Room for 12 People. All meals included. From the Friday dinner to the Sunday lunch. Also included: a drive on the farm and an evening of story telling.
Policies & disclaimers
Disclaimer of Liability.
All persons entering these premises, or using any amenities or facilities on this premises, do so at their own risk and subject to the following conditions:
These premises are private property and the owner and / or employees of these premises reserve the right to refuse admission or entry to any person.
The owner and / or employees of these premises, amenities and facilities and its directors, agents and representatives do not accept any liability whatsoever for any injury or death of any person or loss or destruction of any damage to any property, whether arising from fire, theft or any other cause whatsoever and by whomsoever caused or arising from negligence or gross negligence or wrongful act or omission of the owner and / or employees of the guest house/lodge/ or its directors, agents and representatives.
There are no reviews for this property yet.
Some features of this website need to store information about your visit. This is used only to provide service to you, is never shared with anyone else and is deleted when no longer needed.
You have not yet told us if we can collect Personally Identifiable Information about you
You must consent to us storing this data for you to be able to make bookings on this site. Regardless of whether or not you consent to your data being stored, we will store a cookie on your computer to tell us whether or not you have opted in. This helps us to ensure that we do not constantly ask you whether or not you want to opt in or out and it does not contain any Personally Identifiable Information (PII). If you change your mind you can visit the "App permissions" page at any time to opt in or out.
The information is stored for different time periods depending on the nature of your visit. So, if you are just looking around we will store approximate geographical location (country level) information. If you perform searches, then to make search forms more user friendly we will store the last things you searched on. This information is typically stored for a maximum of 24 hours and is only used to make your visit more pleasant.
When you make a booking with us, by necessity more information is stored.
- The technicalites of the booking form are captured and retained for a maximum of 60 days. This is required so that On Request bookings can be turned into full bookings once a booking is approved, and for analysis by our teams in case there is an issue with a booking. If you were not logged in when you made a booking then we will email you a username and password so that you can view your booking history and exercise your Right To Be Forgotten (RTBF) if you wish to do that.
- Data entered into the booking form, for example name, email address, real address is stored for a maximum of 365 days after the booking's departure date. This information is stored in encrypted form in our database so that only authorised people can view it. If you make a booking then by law we must store your PII whilst the booking is valid. Once the booking has completed, either because it has been cancelled or you have been checked out, then you will be able to exercise your RTBF by logging in and visiting the "Your data" page. Invoice information for completed bookings will still be securely stored in our database to ensure that we abide by relevant tax laws but you will be able to remove all other PII after the booking is completed.
- When you consent to your information being stored as described above, we are legally obliged to store this consent in our database. This information will include your IP number and the content of the opt-in form. We will retain this consent notification indefinately (this is a legal requirement).
|Tariff name||Resource/property type||Min people||Max people||Valid from||Valid til||Minimum days||Maximum days|
|Tariff||Tent pitch 2 person||1||6||August 6, 2019||August 6, 2029||R230.00 Per night||1||365|
|Tariff||Tent pitch 4 person||1||6||August 6, 2019||August 6, 2029||R340.00 Per night||1||365|
Properties nearby Gatsrivier within 50 km
No other properties nearby.